The demands on Local Government procurement and contract managing have moved beyond the traditional focus of ensuring compliance. Local Governments are now expected to demonstrate probity, transparency and good governance over the use of public funds to procure goods and services and in the management of their suppliers as well as achieve superior value outcomes.
WALGA has responded to this need for increased support with the introduction of a suite of procurement and contract management training courses suitable for Elected Members and Officers.
Click to enlarge
Procurement and Contract Management
Learning and Development Pathway
- Introduction to Local Government Procurement is an online introductory course designed to provide staff involved in purchasing with the knowledge to understand how to make informed purchasing decisions under a Local Government Framework.
- Introduction to Contract Management is currently under development. Contact WALGA Training for the latest information regarding this course.
- Managing Contracts in Local Government is designed to assist Local Governments and Contract Managers in Western Australia to address issues and raise the bar in improving all aspects of their contract management performance. Managing Contracts tailors modern leading contract management practice specifically for contract managers in the Western Australian Local Government context.
- Procurement Training for Local Government is a foundation course in procurement for Local Government Managers and Officers, designed specifically for individuals who are not formally trained or qualified in procurement
- Evaluation, Supplier Selection and Contract Establishment focuses in detail on the Evaluation and Supplier selection stage of the Procurement Cycle.
- Planning and Specification Development focuses in detail on the critical steps associated with planning and specification development for successful contracts.
Certificate IV in Government (Procurement and Contracting) is a nationally recognised qualification that has been customised specifically for WA Local Government. The program is aimed at building the capabilities of procurement professionals in Local Government, increasing the profile of procurement in WA Local Government, and giving participants professional development goals to aim for.